Sunday, July 19, 2009

On to Viet Nam

I don't have access on my own computer today so I won't be able to add pictures to this entry. We flew from Cambodia to Viet Nam and landed in Hanoi. There is still evidence of a very strong government in control as we got off the place. I was getting the evil eye for laughing in the line to show my passport.

We rode in a van through the streets of Hanoi, it is very crowded here with millions of people and about that many motor skooters. We stopped at a restaurant to eat Pho, which was delicious but am still wondering what some of the components were in the soup.

It was then on to a beautiful hotel called Da Woo, not sure if that is spelled correctly. It is a 5 Star in the middle of Hanoi, with a breath taking view of water and a bustling city.

We got up in the morning and went to the memorial for Ho Chi Minh. Wow that was interesting. It was so hot and humid, I wonder if I will render down from all the food I am eating???? They take us to three full meals of incredible food everyday and I am just not used to this. Oh to be sixteen years old and not have to worry about calories!!!! When we were in the memorial the guards literally grabbed me by the arm and moved me along. I was not happy about that. There were thousands of people in the memorial I was so afraid of getting lost from the group. We then toured the grounds and saw where Ho Chi Minh lived, the emotions of the history of our relationship with this country were ever present in my mind.

After this huge buffet, we headed out for Halong Bay. It is a three and half hour drive from Hanoi. The scenery on the drive seemed like entries from a National Geographic Article. You could see people working in rice paddies, water buffalo grazing, many small business people selling their wares and people in traditional Viet Namese clothing. It seemed like a long but beautiful ride. Today we head out for a five hour boat trip in Halong Bay. I can't wait to share some of the pictures I took.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I looked up that Dae Woo Hotel in Hanoi! Just magnificent!!!

    ReplyDelete